Monday, August 9, 2010

Ohio State Fair


We survived.


The kids had fun (heck, we had a blast).



We started off with lots of late nights before show day practicing in the show ring (and a trip down to Columbus for Jessie and I at 5:30 in the morning on Wednesday).....



We said going down there that we weren't going to win it all but were going for the learning experience and to have fun.



I think we succeeded.




Jessie ended up 12th in showmanship out of 26 and 10th in the market hog class out of 17. And she ended up 11th out of 30 on the swine skillathon.


And no - I didn't get lots of pictures. I was to busy enjoying it. And biting my nails while watching her show. We rented a camper for the days we were there - which was such a blessing. There was 15 people in our "group" - we ate way to much, stayed up way to late and had way to much fun. We also rented a golf cart - it was a very, very long way from the campgrounds to the pig barn - a 5 min. trip one way on the golf cart.



Tyler did get to show in the open show on Sunday - he didn't place but he is ready to do it again.



I think he could end up being a better showman than his sister.




The best thing about the past week? Jessie came home last night fired up to work with her pigs and her steer for our County Fair. She knows what she needs to work on now and is anxious to get started......

4 comments:

Lib said...

Looks like a fun trip!Congrats to Jessie.
I love reading about your simple life and teaching your children so well! :o) We need more Parents like ya'll!
Blessins',Lib

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

It looks like you all had a great time! It's so great for kids to be involved in those activities. I'm truly envious because I'd love for my kids to be in 4H and have real world agricultural experiences. It teaches them so much. The best I can offer in Chicago is the Museum of Science and Industry. lol! My kids are cream puffs. ;)

Tudy said...

Glad it was a good trip for you. Fair is just a few weeks away. Maybe this year we will run into each other.

Nancy M. said...

I'm glad y'all had a good trip! I'll bet it was nice to relax in the camper with friends!