Monday, July 6, 2009

It's not Quilty but it is Crafty

My sewing machine died. I haven't had the TIME to go near it in weeks, but of course, this weekend I want to finish up a quilt top to send it out for quilting and it dies (Todd and I have talked and in the interest of saving wear and tear on my machine, anything larger than a lap quilt I will be sending out to be quilted - we just cannot fit in the budget right now the machine that I want). Not sure what happened to it - it worked fine when Jessie took it to sewing camp last Monday night, and she sewed on it some on Friday just playing around. It's going to the doctor this afternoon when I am off work. It runs, it just won't pick up the bobbin thread and SEW. It was time for a good cleaning anyhow so.....


But I'm still being crafty. And this sort of crafting I can do sitting out on the deck, or on the swing or by the pool:

Luxe Neckwarmers from Knit 2 together. I had to make 2 - the first one (the dark brown one) I bound off too tightly and can barely get it over my head.


The start of my Flair sweater. I've been working on this one for a week Sunday, it would be going a LOT quicker if I hadn't had to rip it back and start over 3 times. I should have started over again - the button holes really aren't in the right place and there are a couple spots on the button bands where I screwed it up minorly but.....it is what it is.
And the deconstructed jacket I started? I'm almost done with it - but it's very slow going and VERY boring.

And I got a wild hair on Friday and ripped out a good 40 foot section of my flowerbeds. Things were growing too wild for me - and were overtaking my rose bushes. So I hauled 3 yard cart fulls of flowers up into the woods. I'll be replacing them this fall with stuff that does not take over, like black eyed susans, day lillies, coral bells and iris's (yellow yarrow, red yarrow, red valerian, white valerian, hardy geraniums and perennial bachelor buttons are what left). Of course, now I need more mulch since that flower bed is mostly empty. I'll try and remember to take pictures this afternoon.

See ya,
Kris

9 comments:

Shorty said...

Love the knitting! I sooo want to learn how to do that. It's actually on my "to do" list, but it may be next year before I actually try. Your stuff looks great!

isolada. by design said...

Yikes! Bummer on the sewing machine breakdown. Hopefully the problem will be something simple and easy to fix.

Sounds like you've plenty to keep you busy...and you're knitting?! I know the sweater will be just beautiful. Keep it going!

And I love how you tend your gardens. I'm exactly like that...when it's out of control, put it in its place or prune the heck out of it. :)

Peace out!

Ana :)

Scrappy quilter said...

Oooh I hope your sewing machine can get fixed without too much of a cost. Love the knitting projects.

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

oh, hon, your weekend sounds like mine.... my computer blanked out on me. it has been a struggle to get anything done. i lost so much stuff. i hope the repair on your machine is simple and inexpensive.
As for th eflowers, i do much the same thing but i must tell you that day lilies do become monsterous and require dividing every other year or MORE and black eyed susans do spread quite a bit. And it has been my experience that yarrow and perennial geranium( cranesbill) are very hard to get rid of. We've dug them and tilled and dug again and they still show back up. those things are best planted in areas that you can allow to grow WILD! sounds like alot of work!

em's scrapbag said...

Hope your machine is up and running soon. I think I would die without mine. I'm looking forward to the pics of the flower garden.

Granny Lyn said...

Dont you just love those wild hairs??? Never a dull moment when those are looming...tee hee

Your knitting is beautiful, and so easy to take with you. Perfect for the summers when you don't want to be tied to the sewing machine.

Nancy M. said...

I hope you'll be able to get your machine fixed!

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

Argh! Don't you hate when you bind off too tightly?? I do that SO often and it always makes me mad because I seem to never learn! lol! I love the cowls! Portability is what I love about knitting and crocheting, too. I usually have something with me to knit or crochet just in case I find myself with a few minutes to spare.

I hope your sewing machine is fixable. I'd feel like I were missing a limb if my machine ever died on me!!

Lindsey said...

Kris, without a sewing machine? Do you feel like you've just lost an arm? Your knitting is fab..I just started some myself but nothing as ambitious as yours...just those little wavy wipers...easy, quick and useful...For now, I'll enjoy your beautiful sweater and neck warmers! What kind of sewing machine do you want? I've got the bottom of the barrel Bernina and it's been a jewel for me...although, I'd really love that Quilter's Edition!