Sunday, November 8, 2009

Let's talk needles

I hate buying knitting needles. Too expensive for the good ones and you can't just use 1 set of needles. But....since I have all these grand plans to make myself some new sweaters, I guess I need them, right?



HOWEVER, I stumbled across this website - and Todd told me to go ahead and order them for our 14th anniversary last month (the 28th to be exact). So I did. But I was frugal and ordered the seconds, and then ordered the 30" cord, the 40" cord, the 52" cord and an extra set of 7, 8 and 9 ends (as that is what size the sweaters that I want to make use the most). I think I paid $55 for all of it. And I cannot figure out why my needles are seconds, really.



And I LOVE them. The cords are plastic coated, so they don't knot up or kink up. They are super easy to use, and I don't tend to drop them like I do the Addi needles because they are not slick. I can mix and match with needle ends from a size 5 to a 15 (and I think I can order 2 other bigger sizes). I can connect different length cords together with a twist of a cord.


Now as long as I don't loose any pieces, I will be all set. But even if I have to replace a needle end, I think it's something like $4.50 for a set of needles. I was a little leary of spending that kind of money, until I realized - to buy a good pair of needles - $18.00. To buy a pair of bamboo needles, $7.95. So theoretically, I can make 80 different sets of needles out of my kit, and each set will cost me just a little less than 69 cents per set of needles (I can make a pair of needles from a size 5 to a size 15 that are 17", 20", 22", 24", 27", 36", 46", 58" long, not to mention adding cords together).
Kris

2 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

WTG on getting new needles. Enjoy!! Can't wait to see the new sweaters you create.

Judy T said...

Good for you for allowing yourself to get them. I'm much the same way, It's hard to allow myself to get something I want, even though I know it will be a 'tool' for many things in the future.
Happy knitting!
Judy