Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sorelle Lace Pullover

This sweater was quick! And my type of knitting.....



In the round, so not a whole lot of purling involved, and the lace and the twisty columns kept it interesting!


Start to finish this took exactly 2 weeks. And I only worked on it in the evenings and the weekends when we didn't have anything going on. I think last Saturday I managed a 3 hour stretch of knitting on this sweater.....
Size 8 needles meant easy.

I normally don't block my sweaters right away. Usually I'm too impatient and want to wear them right away. And I did want to wear this one in the worst way, but I knew the lace would need a good blocking, and you could really see my increases and decreases at the waist shaping I put in.
Soooo.... I dumped it into the kitchen sink and got it good and wet. I think I freaked Todd out doing it that way.....but......after laying it out on a towel to dry, and flipping it a few times even he noticed the difference in the lace!
Pattern: Sorelle Lace-Edged Pullover
Yarn: Valley Yarns Colrain, color lapis blue (and only 3.49 a skien)
Needles: size 8
Size: 38 (the only modification I made was to make it about 2 inches longer and do some more waist shaping).
Also, I'm not sure why it only took me 5 skiens of yarn (or about 550 yards), when others used 700 - 900 yards. I'm thinking that maybe this yarn is a little heavier than what the pattern called for.......
Since I was blocking sweaters that night, I blocked my Collins as well. I've worn this one a lot, but the collar was never long enough and never laid flat. I steam blocked it right after finishing, but this time I soaked it good and laid it out flat to dry. I've decided that is the only way I'm blocking sweaters from here on out.....get them good and wet!
The results?
The collar lays perfectly now and is an inch longer, I gained an inch in the shoulders (which I needed) and somehow managed to shrink the waist a couple inches (which I also needed).
So now I have 2 perfect fitting for me sweaters, and can't even wear them to work. See, I'm painting the office at work, and I would be really irked if I got blue and green and grey paint all over my nice sweaters. Hopefully this weekend I'll get to wear one of them at least!


And after all that hoopla about the big snowstorm? We ended up with about 4-5 inches, some ice and 3 days off of school. I'm REALLY hoping that the kids go to school tomorrow - they have about had it with being home all day......
Stay warm everyone!
Kris

5 comments:

Patty Sumner said...

You do the fastest and best work! I am amazed. Blessings!

country mouse said...

WOW! You work fast. Love those sweaters, the blue one is lovely, and only 2 weekes to make? That is amazing!! I love the lace work, and you Collins looks awesome post blocking. I hear you on the weather, lots and lots of ice here and 3 days off of school here too. I didn't mind it too much since I don't have full weekends with the kids due to my custody agreement, so it was like a nice 3 day weekend for us. Hope things are clearing up in your area, and that you all have a great weekend!!

audreypawdrey said...

That was really quick! It is beautiful, and I hope your kids were able to go to school, for your sake, anyway.:)

Susan said...

Blocking does make a big difference. Your knitting is fabulous..........

Emily Cole said...

Great job on the sweaters! I love them both. I haven't made anything for myself yet. I really do want to make a sweater though. Something shaped and nice enough to wear to work.