Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Donkey Party

For those of you wondering what a donkey party is.....


My MIL thought this up 3 or 4 years ago. In addition to celebrating the birth of Jesus at Christmas, she thought the donkey ought to be celebrated for carrying a pregnant Mary around (yes, warped sense of things, but they have miniature donkeys, and I think this is an excuse for her to have a party with a bunch of little kids...really though it is a lot of fun).






We play donkey games (pin the tail on the donkey, donkey bingo, break a donkey pinata), string donkey beads, and drive their miniature donkeys around in the cart.




And of course, eat and stand around a fire and talk.....


Since I was working this year, I don't have pictures from this year's party. I told Todd to take the camera, but....he is a man. I should have let Jessie take the camera but....she is 8.

Kris

11 comments:

audreypawdrey said...

It looks like such a fun time! I think it is a fabulous idea for a fun party.

Niki said...

Too cute!!! What a nice MIL you have :)

Winifred said...

What a fabulous idea!

I only have cats and I don't think it would quite work. They're not very sociable cats!

I bet there were cats in the stable too.

isolada. by design said...

I absolutely love this idea! And, personally, I think it's good not to forget the loyal, faithful work and companionship we DO know from our animals and all the gifts we receive from Mother Earth. BRAVO to all of you for the fun time.

Anonymous said...

Excellent idea. One that has meaning on several levels. The kids surely have a lot of fun hanging around real live animals too! Excellent!

Lib said...

Hi Kris,
What a Great idea! Looks fun!
Have a great day!
Blessins',Lib

Dawn said...

This is such a wonderful tradition during such a holy holiday!

jacquie said...

that is the BEST idea. i sure would love to see those donkeys. they are darling!

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

That's so funny! I love the idea, though. We should have a celebration for a woman for once. I mean, c'mon, she carried the guy in her womb for 9 months. She should at least get a day, shouldn't she? (is it evil to refer to Jesus as "the guy"?? lol!).

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

Oh, wait. Are we celebrating the donkey, or Mary? Oh, the DONKEY! I love it! I still think Mary should get a day, though!! lol! Maybe you should celebrate with a female donkey named Mary. That way all the bases are covered. Oh man, its late. I better get some sleep cuz I'm getting loopy...

Kristie said...

I must say that is the coolest thing ever!!!! Of course, I just love Donkeys!!! I have an old mule, that weighs about 1200 lbs and if I could fit him in the house I would bring him in. I don't even have him in a fence, he just walks around the farm. When I am outside, he follows me everywhere, no matter where I go he follows...
Kristie