Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Weekend in Review

Tyler's teachers loved their quilts. Jessie's teacher loved hers. The other room Mom and I had a picnic for them on Friday afternoon - with a water balloon toss, sack race, bubble gum blowing contest and egg carrying in spoon race. The kids had a blast.








Friday night saw our 4th calf of the year be born - ANOTHER heifer. She's cute, healthy and mom is good with her. We kept them in Friday night and Saturday - and then tossed her butt out in the field with everyone else. She has incredibly long legs.





And I caught Tyler doing this Friday afternoon:













My garden is totally planted! It may never look this nice again.


32 roma tomato plants, 12 hillbilly tomato plants, 4 pepper plants (so far), 3 cherry tomato plants, 2 crook neck yellow squash plants, zuccinni, pumpkins, sweet corn, green beans, beets and 50 sweet onions.


And I have 3 new flower beds. But only 2 are mine to take care of. A few years ago we saw a flower bed with field corn, soybeans and wheat in it. And Tyler wanted to do this. So we yanked out a bush and 3 gigantic hostas, and Tyler and Todd planted field corn and soybeans in it. Here in a few months we will plant some wheat, and he can do this again next year.





I spent all day yesterday digging flowers, moving flowers, weeding.....my SIL and MIL came up and took truckloads of flowers. Some of my flower beds I have had for 5 or 6 years and things were getting rather large. And I was threatening to roundup everything and start over, which they couldn't bear to see happen. Of course, when we moved the hostas, my SIL was there. This is from 4 hosta, and she took home just as much with her if not more. So you get the idea on how large they were.



I put an herb garden in under the purple martin housing - which we now have at least 3 pairs of purple martins. We had to forcibly evict some tree swallows, but....






Last year I had my herbs out in the garden, but when we tilled the garden up for the winter, the herbs got tilled up too. I still have to get a few more plants.



The ponds are still not finished - hopefully this evening we can get them finished. I am anxious to get mulch spread around and be done for the most part.....

22 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

You've been really busy. We are doing a herb garden as well. Our garden is planted too and like yours it looks so good right now....not a weed in sight. I'm sure it won't be long before there is one. Have a super day.

Sherri said...

Wow...what a weekend! And your garden looks great!

Karen said...

How do you find time to make quilts? Looks like you are mighty busy with family, animals, and gardening.

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Wow - your garden is amazing - what lovely produce you will have before long!

Anonymous said...

Your son is so funny. It looks like the tricycle works very well with the slide, perhaps he's onto something there.

Anonymous said...

The garden is lovely...and I am jealous. We're still waiting for the warmer temps here!! Your quilts are gorgeous too, as always..you amaze me! :)

Kristie said...

Wow! Do you ever stop? Where on earth do you get your energy!

Such a wonderful thing that you did for those kids at school! I loved the video of your son riding down the slide! That is truly something that Hunter would do!!!
Kristie

Small House said...

Man...I thought 12 tomato plants was a lot!! You go girl. It will be beautiful when your garden is all grown!! Lot of work isn't it?
Have a good day.
Sandra

Philigry said...

oh, i love all of the outdoor projects! everything looks great.

isolada. by design said...

Action packed and high energy...what a great weekend!

The end of the year activities for teachers and children sound like fun.

Gardening...what a blast and what yummies you'll soon have in annuals, perennials, herbs and veggies. I just love it!

As for those children of yours...definitely fearless and happy-go-lucky! Ah, to be a kid again!

Happy, good days, Kris!

Ana :)

Nancy M. said...

Boys are funny, and a little scary! That is quite a lot of tomato plants you have! Beautiful calf!

Julie said...

What a great weekend Kris! You accomplished a Lot! The gardens look great! Your tomatoes, are these new varieties are ones you have had before? I have one tomato hanging in one of those upside down planters. Its growing, so hopefully I'll get some tomatoes off of it.

Niki said...

isn't this the busiest time of year? What are hillbilly tomatoes by the way? We're hopping from job to job around our place too.
Have a great week
Niki

Patty said...

I just love how green and healthy everything looks around you; and the garden looks like a really good size. You all must really love tomatoes!

Granny Lyn said...

As usual,,,you are crazy busy!!

that slide of Tyler's gave my heart a jump!! tell him he's going to give us ALL kiniptions!! tee hee

Gari in AL said...

I may have to stop reading your blog: I get tired just reading it. LOL The heffer is beautiful.

Lindsey said...

That all sounds like so much fun! The quilt turned out nice and I can't wait to see your vegetable garden later this year...how fun!

warren said...

That's genius riding the big wheel down the slide! I wish I had thought of that. I do ride my bike down stairs now...but a slide...that's great!

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

Wow, you are such a nice parent. I didn't do anything for Luke's teacher. And she was awesome. To be honest, I meant to finish the scarf I'm knitting and give it to her, but I didn't finish it and won't be done with it for a while. At least I had good intentions, right?

Your garden looks great. But, what the heck are hillbilly tomatoes????

Gizmo said...

I'm wondering what hillbilly tomatoes are too?!?
You are one BUSY Mom!!! I can't wait to see Tyler's flowerbed. :)
I tagged you on my blog too!

audreypawdrey said...

You have been so busy! I can't believe how many tomatoe plants you are going to have. I love tomatoes fresh from the garden. I have three but now I need more.

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Oh I just love plants...your garden looks great! You could fit about 20 of my garden patches in there! LOL** This is my first year doing veggies so I'm excited to learn and see what you do! Keep us posted! :)