Thursday, February 12, 2009

Mud

What do you do when it was 70 degrees out yesterday afternoon?
You kick all the boys and girls out into the mud and give them a couple squishy pumpkins to peck at:
You get out the 4 wheeler and yard card (after putting said 4 wheeler into 4 wheel drive so you can get through the yard to get to the chicken coop without making big ruts):
And you proceed to empty out of the chicken coop 3 heaping yardcarts full of ....stuff.

Then you have to keep the chickens out in their run until your husband gets home with the lime and another bag of shavings so you can give the chickens a nice, clean home. Which they will not thank you for - they will in fact be royally ticked at having been locked out of their house for 3 hours!

And here is how Jessie's quilt is coming along. I have the blocks done. I have the sashings and borders all cut. But....with 42 blocks, I need to find a larger place to lay it out to make sure the colors of the blocks all look good together.

And of course, today will be back down into the 40's and rain. But at least it will give me a chance to get inside and get some sewing done!

Kris

14 comments:

audreypawdrey said...

The thought of the chickens being upset is too funny! The quilt is really coming together too. I love it. Have a good Thursday!

Patty said...

Why do you put lime in the chicken coop?

Scrappy quilter said...

Your quilt is coming along great. We've had freezing rain and lots of snow for the past 3 days. It's been crazy here. Oh to have the weather at 70 degrees.

QuiltedSimple said...

Hi Patty! I put lime down in there to cut down on the smell and to help absorb anything wet that gets in there - not a lot, just a sprinkling. We put it down all the time in the horse stalls, the cow sheds and chicken coop. I haven't cleaned the coop out in a couple months, but every 2 weeks or so I would scrape everything to the side, put lime down and then cover it with shavings, and it really didn't smell at all in there......we'll see if it works:)
Kris

Sherri said...

The quilt looks great! Love the bright colors!

Susan said...

Whew... I really get tired just reading about what you do each day.

Jesse's quilt is looking good. What a treat to have such a lovely soft hug to keep warm with each winter.

isolada. by design said...

Glad you had warm weather yesterday, too! Those chickens may not appreciate you for a little while, but they will when they realize things are clean and cozy!

The quilt is looking lovely. Jessie's going to love it!

BlueRidge Boomer said...

As a kid...i always hated "coop duty"...love the quilt.....

Have a great day...LindaMay

Unknown said...

I am loving the quilt ! Love bright colours !

The chickens look cute !

Vanessa

Janice said...

Sounds like you were able to get a lot down outside. That is a good thing. Your quilt is looking so nice. I really would love to learn how to do that. I'm sure I could learn I just need someone to help me out. Good job!

warren said...

Most people don't hope for rain, but I believe you just might so that you can sew more! That's funny!

Anonymous said...

The quilt has nice bright pretty colors.
Susan from Wooster OH

Farmhouse Blessings said...

This warm weather just makes you want to stay outdoors, doesn't it? Thanks for the nice tip on the lime in the coop.

I was wondering ... do you compost the chicken droppings or use them directly in the garden?

Well that quilt is turning out so pretty. The colors are so bright and cheerful. I just love it!

Thank you for your sweet thoughts and prayers for Jase. Means to much.

Blessings,
Lea

Val said...

I love the quilt! And I still want my own chickens.