Monday, February 9, 2009

No picture Monday!

The weekend was so busy - but I took LOTS of pictures - and of course, all my rechargeable batteries are now deader than a doornail - I'll have to upload some pictures tonight.

The kids both had friends spend the night Friday night - and that was EXHAUSTING! They were up until 11:30 p.m. and then woke up at 5:30 a.m. on Saturday. It was a sister/brother who spent the night - so that was nice for both kids but they were CRANKY by late Saturday afternoon!

It was a beautiful weekend - 49 on Saturday and 39 yesterday. Today is supposed to be 54! So yesterday I spent all morning cleaning house and then helped Todd outside cleaning out cow sheds, horse stalls and everywhere. Then bedding them up took quite a while. We did work with Jessie's calves. They are getting there and the one she should be able to lead easily by the time the March show rolls around. Now we just need 1 more hard freeze (I know, I shouldn't even be saying that!) so we can spread manure one last time and everything will be clean for spring/summer.

I did get to work on Jessie's new quilt - I have 14 blocks sewn together and another 27 blocks cut out and paired up. It will be so pretty. And I've got all the pieces for Tyler's whirlygiggle's quilt cut out. I think I'm going to do Jessie's quilt top, then Tyler's and then have a quilting stretch to get everything done.

We went to Aldi's on Saturday morning for our grocery run. I only have to go about once every 3 weeks (to buy butter, staples, cheese and the like). And boy - have prices gone UP! What I could get 3 weeks ago for $40 - now cost me $56. Ugh. But, just a few more months and the garden will be on it's way to producing. We are getting a couple pigs here shortly - we have a good friend that raises them, and he has 2 runts that aren't ready with the rest of them that he has (he raises about 10 at a time in their pasture) so we are getting them - we'll finish them off (they weigh about 140-160 right now) and then have our own sausage, bacon and pork chops.

Have a great day! Back later,
Kris

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Busy weekend. Oh, I'm sure we will get more than one good freeze before it's all over kris. But don't worry, we won't blame you! :) Oh, I'm so jealous. I wish we could get a couple of pigs here!! I wanna see pics girl!! :)

audreypawdrey said...

I can't wait to see the pictures of all that you have been working on! You have been super busy. I am so impressed that you only have to go to the grocery store every three weeks and only spend $56!

Scrappy quilter said...

You're right only a few more months and we can start garening. Well about 4 months here. Can't wait to see the quilts.

isolada. by design said...

Phew! I'm exhausted just reading about your weekend. But I love your energy! Glad you had nice weather and yet you'll welcome a hard freeze? A woman with priorities. I like it! Look forward to pics. Know a beautiful Monday!

Ana :)

Janice said...

I hear you on the grocery prices. It is so frustrating. I'm impressed you can only spend $56. I go every two weeks and my grocery budget is $120. I can get quite a bit of food. That's great you will be able to have your own meat soon. I have been blessed with great parents that raise beef and have given us some beef. IT is so yummy!! Much better than the store meat. Enjoy!!

Michaela said...

That really was a busy weekend. I made a huge list of stuff I need to get done over the weekend, but very little of it actually made it to be crossed of. I can only wish I would have as much to report as you. Great job! Can't wait for the pictures. I need to go to Aldi more again.

Anonymous said...

Those pigs you are getting are pretty well along, yes?

Who cares though...bacon in the backyard rules!!!

Millie said...

You had a busy weekend. I can not wait to see pictures of your beautiful quilts.

Millie said...

You had a busy weekend. I can not wait to see pictures of your beautiful quilts.

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

The weather has been great, hasn't it?? I love it! Food prices have been crazy, that's for sure. We used to eat out a lot, but not any more. I've had to suck it up and cook. Actually, I don't mind cooking. Its cleaning up I hate. lol!

I can't wait to see your whirlygiggle quilt! Its such a cute pattern.

Gina said...

What a busy weekend. I can't understand why kids don't realise that late to bed should mean a late lie in in the morning. It never happens in this house either though,

Love and hugs Gina xxx