Monday, August 11, 2008

This weekend past

This weekend must have been the kick off for my food preservation weekend.


I froze 3 dozen ears of corn (I have 10 doz. more on order from our Amish neighbor - the racoons found our patch and demolished it):


A gazillion sweet peppers were frozen:


And made tomato sauce:




And Sunday I made a batch of soap and finished up the tomato sauce (I let it cook Friday night from 6-10 p.m., Saturday from noon to 10 p.m. and today cooked it from noon until I canned it in the evening). Unfortunately, so far my soap is not looking the way it normally looks (at least the last 2 times I've made it) - but from what I'm reading on the web, I can re-melt it and it should be better than before - so that will be tried 1 night this week. Todd thinks I'm just panicking because I took it out of the mold sooner than I normally would which could be, as I do tend to obsess about things like this.....

This week I hope to get peaches canned, another batch of tomato sauce (I picked almost a half a bushel on Sunday) and next weekend will be sweet pickles.

Yummy, yum....

Kris

4 comments:

Philigry said...

how do you do it all!?
wow!

Anonymous said...

Go you!!! I won't be experiencing my tomato days for about a month or so. Have you had all the rain I've had lately? It's been so wet out there that my tomato and pepper plant s are NOT happy. Glad you're having such a wild success! Looks like I need to do a V-Garden update! :)

SewAmy said...

I have never canned before. I don't grow anything but flowers. Maybe next year I'll try tomatoes. You've inspired me.

Lib said...

I'm canning toms. this wk.
Gill the British woman (on my blog roll) has a good post today (Tues.) on toms. Its good!if you have time to check it out.
Hope you have a great wk.
Blessins',Lib