Sunday, February 17, 2008

Firetrucks and more firetrucks

Here is Tyler's firetruck bed quilt:

I am so happy with the way this turned out. I wasn't sure about the black and red, but we are painting his room a light blue/grey, getting new carpeting (at some point in the next couple of months) and I think it will look fantastic.

Tyler was so excited to see his quilt top - he was all ready to put it on his bed. The little man has a severe articulation/speech dealy, and cannot say the "tr" sound in truck - it comes out sounding like "f". He's had therapy since school started last September, and if he really thinks about it, he can say "truck" but as in the case of yesterday, when he gets excited, that all flies out the window. So you can use your imagination and understand what he was saying. (Note: It's really cute to hear him say "dumptruck" as he can't articulate the "p" sound either - and he doesn't make a substitution for the sound, so dump is just dum"). He was so happy though to see his bed quilt.

At this point it's about 2/3 of the way pin basted. . . .I'm hoping to be able to start within the next couple of nights quilting it. I would really like to get it on his bed within the next 1-2 weeks. With spring will be coming, and who knows what I will have time for. Todd's thinking his million hours of work are going to be starting up first of March, so alot of the stuff around the farm will fall to me, which won't be bad if the weather gets nice. It has been very nice having him home on Saturday and Sunday mornings, but he needs to go back to work, as we are eating way too well around here at breakfast time on the weekends.

This is going to be my next project - it's a block of the month quilt my Mom, sister and I took the classes for maybe 4, 5, 6 years ago? I have one more block that I want to do here today yet, and get the sashings and borders on. I'm trying not to do anything new until I get some of these projects done. Of course, this will involve a trip to JoAnn's to buy fabric for the borders and sashings - how fun will that be? Although there won't be a lot of fabric involved, as the blocks are only 9" square:

My tomato seeds also came in the mail yesterday - I CANNOT wait to get out and start digging in the dirt.

Calves are good, it is 48 degrees and raining - hurry up and rain already so we get some sunshine and warm weather.

Take care,

Kris

1 comment:

Granny Lyn said...

I absolutely LOVE the firetruck quilt, I have been paying attention to how other people combine colors, and I love the mix you have in this one, very random and perfect!
My son had the same problem with the word "truck" so I can hear it in my head as I was reading your post, tee hee, we made sure he NEVER took a matchbox truck to church!!!
thanks for sharing,
lyn