Saturday, February 9, 2008

Sunbonnet Sue

Quilting is ALL DONE!!! I was up until 11:30 last night quilting it, but now it's just figure out what to do for the binding. I'm thinking I'm just going to fold the edges over twice to the back and machine stitch them down. There's enough fabric to do it, I won't have to worry about yellows/prints matching (I do tend to obsess about these weird things) and I think it will work. That is, in my mind it should work, in person is another story entirely. I absolutely love it, and at the same time, I am SO glad I decided against using this on Jessie's bed.



The animals are happy if a little dirty and muddy after all the rain/sleet/snow/50's then 20's we've had - it was fairly nice out today here. These are just a couple of the "girls" - and hopefully a couple of them will be calving here before too long:



This is the bull. We took him away from his harem last weekend - while he is very tame as far as bulls go, if we should have trouble with calving, we don't need to be dealing with him:


The horses are so shaggy right now. I can't wait to get them cleaned up this spring, but it would be a loosing battle at the moment:


The guineas will hopefully not be here too much longer. While they are excellent at keeping down the bugs, there is guinea poo EVERYWHERE. Last summer they took to roosting on the top rail of the kids' swingset - which meant that it had to be washed down EVERY DAY. They are amusing when they chase each other (or our Jack Russell) but I am tired of dealing with guinea poo all over the barns, the tractors, the 4 wheeler. . . . I was showing Todd everyone else's blogs today, and he actually said - maybe we ought to get a few chickens, but if we do that, I WANT a couple roosters. Not sure about breeds - I always thought a chicken was a chicken, but I'm going to look into it here before too long, especially if he's thinking it might be nice to have a supply of eggs!!


And last, but certainly not least, is my garden/weed patch from last year. It is probably 50 x 200 feet (give or take) and after I was showing Todd what I want to do, he is talking that it needs to be enlarged a little bit???

Yes, it looks bad now, but here in a few weeks, weather cooperating, we'll start getting it ready, and hopefully with being involved in the Take Five group, I'll be able to keep up on it this summer.

Tomorrow's high with wind chill is -15. I'm hoping to get lots done inside. Stay warm everyone,

Kris

1 comment:

Granny Lyn said...

I am absolutely in LOVE with the Sunbonnet Sue!! the yellow is perfect, and my Auntie always turns her edges, it is how my great grandmother taught her, so either the front edge or back edge is turned twice and sewn, I've never seen her do binding, and I have only bound the last three (for some reason, it has become my favorite part)
your "girls" are beautiful, glowing, tee hee
and, it is -22 degrees wind chill as I type, and a blizard out there.
Stay warm,
lyn