Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Some Days . . . .

I really amaze myself!!!

My mom emailed me today - look at all these cute bags everyone is making on their blogs. So I start looking, and I start thinking. I come home still thinking. Todd is at fire practice, the kids are playing. . . I find 4 yards of decorator weight fabric in the very bottom of my stash trunk.

I come up with this:



Yellow and blue are by no means my favorite color (or even close to it), but I brought this who knows how many years ago on sale at JoAnn's to make curtains for my kitchen which I was going to paint yellow. Todd doesn't want yellow (he likes white walls) so it has sat while we agree to disagree on what color to paint the kitchen (my response was fine - I'll paint it magenta).

But now I am onto making this as well:





The wallet did not come out as I had envisioned, it's rather thick (I put batting in between the 2 layers) so I couldn't top stitch the one corner, but there is a pocket at each end to hold receipts and money, and some credit card holders. I'm ecstatic - I didn't use a pattern, and I am rather happy with them as they are. I need to think of a way to hold the wallet shut - I am not ambitious enough to tackle a zipper on something this small - maybe a button and a ribbon - I'll have to think on it. And there is no pocket for change - again, I have zipper issues.

I took breaks to cook dinner and do chores for Todd, since it will be about 10 until he gets home, but. . . .all in all, I'm pleased with how my evening went.

Any suggestions/improvements on either?


P.S. I feel a give-away coming on - once I tweak the purse - stay tuned!!!

Kris

7 comments:

Philigry said...

oh, i love the purse, and the wallet!

sugarcreekfarm said...

Wow, I'm impressed! I wouldn't even attempt something like that without a pattern!

Granny Lyn said...

ooooh! pockets and everything! I love the wallet, have you seen the demos from Quilting with Kaye (at least I think it was her) about the zippers? lay the two fabric sides flat, sew the zipper in the middle of the two rectangles, and then sew the poket into the wallet, e-mail me if I havent' explained well enough. it's really easy.
I admire your spunk,
lyn

Anonymous said...

Sorry for interrupting your day yesterday with the purse, but who wants to work. Wonder how much we would get done at work if we weren't reading blogs?? The bag is perfect, can't wait to see it in person. What color are you making me?? Mom

jacquie said...

You made these without a pattern...I can do that with a quilt, but with anything else I wouldn't know where to start. You are a true seamstress! I really like the yellow and blue. (I think it would make a cute kitchen too!)

Anonymous said...

You continue to amaze me, girl!! Those look awesome!!

Sara said...

I love it and I love blue and yellow! Hint Hint!! Plus I could never do something like that without a pattern - I'm not that good yet!

I haven't done much lately, between kids and drs its been busy.