Sunday, June 8, 2008

Help, Please

I acquired this quilt a while back, and absolutely fell in love with it:


However, it is so badly damaged, I'm not sure how to fix it!?!?!? Or if I should even try?????



I cannot bear to cut it up to make something else useable with it (while I love the idea that Christina did, I don't have a laptop and it makes me just sick to my stomach to think of myself cutting this quilt top up.)


Fortunately for me, the damage seems to be limited to the setting squares - I'm thinking maybe some white muslin that I was a million times and just applique new squares over the ruined ones (there are 3 or 4 ruined setting squares that I can find - and a few loose seams that I can fix). The quilting design looks like a simple flower, I think I can duplicate that.


I know the family history on this quilt, and know it was once loved, which may be adding to my reluctance to cut it up and repurpose it, but....


This quilt will never be used, but I am a sucker for anything old so. .. . . there you go.


Anyone have any suggestions?
Kris
P.S. by the way - it is freaking hot here - 94 degrees and high humidity

4 comments:

SewAmy said...

I like the quilt too. Love the colors. Try to fix it, I bet you could do it.

It is freaking HOT here too. I am so over the heat. :o)

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

I don't know how to fix it, but would love to know a way to do it. I just bought an old quilt from a thrift store that I love and it has three or four areas that are frayed. I'll check back to see if anyone suggests a way to fix it.

Granny Lyn said...

well, you know I'm no expert, but all I can think of is maybe applique a square, then quilt the same pattern over it? it would be a shame to cut it, I could not do it, either...

good luck, I can't wait to see it when it's done!

Philigry said...

it is warm here too! I think you should try to save it, and show us after you do!