Friday, May 2, 2008

Can Anybody Guess What this is????


What does it look like to you?






I was playing around with paper piecing. I have an awesome idea for a table runner/wall hanging, which would involve 3 or 4 of these little buggers (it only measures 6 1/2 inches square) but am not sure if it looks like what I was intending it to look like. I still have to embroider on the bottom 2 spindly. . . .



. . . .chicken legs.



Yes, it is supposed to be a chicken - paper pieced. The last time I tried paper piecing (back in 1999 or so) was on a log cabin block and I hated it - with a passion. Swore I would never do it again. Yet, here I am. . . .playing around with it. For 2 reasons: a) I cannot find a patchwork chicken block that I like and I am in the mood to MAKE IT NOW and b) I am no where near creative as Jacquie and drafting my own blocks (and believe me, I have spent the past hour trying!!)



He looks a little wierd to me - maybe it's my color choices. . . I'll have to play around some more. And maybe once I put his legs on and a "bead - y" little eye, he will look better. Then again, maybe once I do a few more of these, they will look very chickeny.

he looks a little better with his "bead"-y eye



On other news - my chicken parmesan was a big hit last night. A little (ok - a lot) spicy, but. . . the kids scarfed it up in a hurry.






Chicken Parmesan (Kris style)



2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts - grilled or baked
2 cans tomato sauce
garlic powder, minced onion, italian seasoning, parsley flakes, crushed red pepper flakes, oregano, basil, salt pepper and sugar to taste (I think I went a little heavy on the garlic). And I have no clue how much - 2 tsp. to a tablespoon of each, maybe?


Heat the sauce with spices until boiling, pour over cooked chicken breasts in a pan, top with grated mozarella cheese - bake 15 minutes covered and 10 minutes uncovered at 350. Tyler liked it last night with mac n cheese (go figure) - the rest of us ate buttered noodles and bread with it.


Have a good weekend. . . .


Kris

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

it looks like a tulip to me!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

I wasn't sure what it was at first, but once you said chicken I noticed it. It looks great and I'm sure it will all come together wonderfully.

Granny Lyn said...

Welp, I learned a new thing,,,I never knew there was such a thing as "too much garlic" I'm going to have to pass it on to my Mr. Wonderful, the cook, (who I think secretly sneaks garlic into his oatmeal in the morning)

The chicken came alive after I visioned his legs, the two dark polka dots in the top fabric threw me off a little, I thought they were some sort of eyes at first so I was turned around.
Let us see another in different fabrics and the set will look better than one alone....?

Tristin said...

Once I saw the beaded eye, I saw the chicken--cute!

Thanks for the chicken parmesan inspiration--you'll see it on my weekly menu next Saturday (5/10). :) All that melty ooey-gooey cheese is hard to resist...

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

I like the chicken block. I didn't know what it was either until you told me, but I think part of the difficulty was the photo. Its hard to see the button and i totally didn't even notice the beak, but i'll bet in "real life" you'd see those right away. I love chickens...I think they're cute!