Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Here chicky, chicky.....

Last night we got the next boxes all cleaned out for the chickens and put fresh straw in. The first batch were 15 weeks old this past Monday, and while we probably have another couple weeks, one of the oldest hens (a barred rock) has been jumping in and out of the next boxes and digging around in there. So might as well make it a little more comfortable for her in there (I actually thought she wouldn't fit in them - she is that big). Tyler can't wait to go collect eggs every day (although I'm sure that will get real old, real quick).







My parents came down on Sunday, and took 2 of our hens home with them. Mom had wanted black and white chickens to start with, and ended up with golden comets and white ones. So we were happy to spread some of the chicken love around. Todd tried to give them a rooster or 2, but they have neighbors to close to them. So far though, none of the roosters are fighting or getting mean - which is a good thing.

And upon looking at the Jersey Giants a little closer - we think the hatchery made a mistake. One of the Jersey Giants has a definite comb and wattle - and he just towers over the others. The other 5 look identical. We were supposed to have 2 Jersey Giant roosters and 4 hens, but we are thinking we ended up with 1 rooster and 5 hens.

Today is a short day of work for me - Jessie has her surgery this afternoon at 3:00 so I'm leaving here early so I can pick her up right before she would eat lunch at school. Todd is staying home and will pick Tyler up from his babysitter's, get him some dinner (probably Subway) and take him to soccer practice.

See ya,
Kris

5 comments:

LuAnn said...

Hope Jessie's surgery goes well this afternoon. I'll be thinking about you. Looking at the photos of your chickens reminds me of when I was a kid and went to my grandpa's farm. We picked eggs and the chickens would peck me on the hand. I'm really surprised that there are even eggs in my refrigerator today. Take care.

Kristie said...

I have one of the hens like yours at the very top! Her name is Hennietta! I hope all goes well with Jesse, please keep us updated.
Kristie

Anonymous said...

Great chicky pics! Oh yeah, your barred rock is in egg-laying training. Our hens did that too. Wait till they start anouncing they're going to lay with a loud "BAWK BAWK BAWK BEGAWK!" Over and over, usually answered by more hens and the roos. Egg laying is noisy business!

Oh, and no....it never gets old...never! ;)

Lib said...

Hi Kris,
Yrs. ago we had a chicken farm here. Your post brought back alot of memories.
Have a great day!
Blessins',Lib

Anonymous said...

I hope the surgery goes well... I am sure it will! Take care :o)