Friday, January 16, 2009

-11 Farenheit

That's how cold it was when I got up this morning. And our electric had been off at some time during the night - it was down to about 60 in our house. So we got a rip roaring fire going in the woodburner and warmed the house back up. But it was hard to walk out the door to go to work. This is the second day the kids haven't had school this week. Which I'm glad really - Jessie doesn't have to stand out long to wait for a bus, but I would feel bad for all those kids who stand out there for 10 or 15 minutes.

Chores were horrible last night. Everything is frozen, everyone needed water, so we spent quite a while unthawing hydrants and water buckets to get everything filled. And of course, they will probably be froze again this afternoon when I get home:(


This is a table runner I've been working on in my spare time. I can honestly say I don't know why I've been working on it - other than I've had it for years and have been in the mood to sit and watch TV in the evenings (especially 24), but if I'm not doing something, I'll fall asleep.

And this is a quilt top I've been working on pin basting. I found it in an antique store last spring for $2.00. It's pieced by hand and I'm planning on machine quilting it and keeping it in the Durango year round for use whenever we need:


Stay warm everyone! This weekend our temps are supposed to get up into the mid 20's - it will feel like a heatwave out there!!!

Kris

12 comments:

isolada. by design said...

Oh, goodness, Kris. I just can't believe that weather. How man and animal survives is a blessed wonder! Hopefully you will get in the 20s this weekend, but better will be if the sun is out. That makes the lower temps more bearable. Good luck and so good you have the woodburner to toast things up in a hurry.

I love the quilt top. Two dollars? WOW! It will be so nice when you're finished and perfect as a go-to blanket in your 4WD.

Know warmth and sun!

Ana :)

Susan said...

And to think that I was whining because it is 16 here.

Everything takes longer in the cold. Your hands don't seem to function as they should.

Scrappy quilter said...

the weather is crazy here too, although it's suppose to warm up and has considerably already. -49C isn't fun.

I love the quilt top. Don't you just love those finds.
~carol

Gill - That British Woman said...

I love how random that quilt is.

I use spray to baste my quilts. Have you tried that?

Gill in Canada

Gina said...

I can't believe how cold it is with you. Over here we moan when it hits zero.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

jacquie said...

ooooh 60...that's chilly. hope the wood stove heats it up quickly!

Renee said...

hi kris. sorry to hear you're all froze up. been hearing that alot though lately from folks. it was -10 when we went to work this morning and now it's -3. a little improvement, not much though. lol. i hear tomorrow will be somewhat warmer, like 12 but i've heard 2-3" of snow to 4-5" of snow depending on where you are. so let's just hope for the best i guess. stay in if you can. take care.

Winifred said...

Gordon Bennett that's cold! You have such stamina to withstand that weather, really admire you. We're such wimps here in the UK always moaning about the cold when it really isn't that bad.

Keep warm.

Love the quilt, what an amazing bargain.

Unknown said...

Hi There ! Brrr that is cold !
What is a durango (spelling?) Love that quilt top - great find !

Off to a soft play area tomorrow for a kiddies party - which will be noisy so no quilting going to happen here ! Hope you get some more quilting done this weekend.

Have a lovely family / crafting weekend !

Vanessa

Janice said...

I am a first time visitor. I enjoyed seeing your projects and the great talent that you have. I like to cross stitch and do embroidery. I haven't done a project like that for a while. I told my husband the other day I want to do some pillow cases. You helped me get more excited to start doing it again. Thanks for letting me peek. I came over from Just another rainy day.

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

Its -8 F here right now. So cold! I have always wondered how animals can handle the cold like this. I'd want to bring them all inside so they could be warm. I guess chickens in the house wouldn't be a good thing! lol! But,....you wouldn't have to walk far for your eggs! lol!

Liz said...

Hi Kris,
I wish I could send you some of very hot weather to warm you up.
I am melting from the heat your snow looks rather refreshing.
Hope you receive some higher temps soon.
Kind regards from Liz in Oz