Sunday, January 18, 2009

Weekend Sewing

I've been furiously quilting a quilt that is my Mom's Christmas present. I'm just about done with the quilting - so by tonight I should have the binding on and be ready to hand stitch it down. I think I have 3 or 4 more 10" squares to quilt. I went to JoAnn's yesterday and picked out a bunch of fat quarters for the binding:



And while we were in JoAnn's, Jessie picked out a striped fabric (for $1.50 a yard - they only had 3 yards so we got all 3) and a bunch of fat quarters - she thinks she needs a new quilt already for on her bed. I'm thinking since I only paid $35 for this and 6 yards of a white on white floral print, I'll think about a new quilt for her bed sometime next winter. We'll see.




My parents came down today when they were getting wood (right up the road from our house). And as usual, we (Mom and I) can think up millions of projects. Like the birds, we are making hearts out of felt:



I have an idea for the hearts - I just need to go get some muslin. Maybe this week. I need to sew them together here shortly, and then have Jessie stuff them (she has way littler fingers than I do!!).


And she had these to do. She had brought the kits about 15 years ago at a quilt shop, but we never got around to doing them:


So of course, once she left I had to quit quilting and start in on these. They are so cute and sooooo easy. The red heart I am having trouble getting it to stand up on it's own (I think the bottom is too long for the candlestick). But maybe if I chop it off and glue gun it in it will stay? Or maybe a different candlestick......

yes, there are pins in the sides of these where I need to sew them shut. I was in too much of a hurry to take the pictures to sew them up yet!!

We hit 26 degrees this morning - it felt like a heat wave out there! But the sun is out and things are running a little smoother (water and chore wise) with the warmer temps. Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday!

Kris

15 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

Oh my look at those fat quarters. I love them. They are one of my favorite things when it comes to quilting. Have fun using them.

SewAmy said...

stopping by to say Hi. lOve the new fabrics. Isn't it fun to finish a quilt.

Janice said...

Those hearts are cute. That was a great idea to place them in a candlestick. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

My mom gave me one of those pincushions for Christmas. I love it. Yours are definitely cute!

Unknown said...

OH yes, I forgot. My pincushion has the fabric going over the candlestick to just below the ring where the bottom of the candle would sit(does that make sense?) and then it is gathered and tied on.

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

I love the fabrics! I hope to finish up a few quilts I've started, but my kids have cabin fever and have been fighting fighting fighting...all. day. long. Argh! I can't wait to see your finished quilt!

Janice said...

Sorry to bug you again. I notice you know how to put buttons on your blog. Could you leave me a little hint on how you did that? I need to do the Pay it Forward and the award button. I would appreciate it, thanks!!

Winifred said...

Those fabrics are beautiful bold colurs. Will you show us the finished Christmas quilt for your Mam please. I bet she will be delighted with it.

Susan said...

Great idea with the hearts.

26 degrees...... Wow.............

Philigry said...

wow! that does sound like a heat wave!
i can't wait to see jessie's quilt.

Janice said...

Thanks for your help. It worked!!

Anonymous said...

Cute hearts!
Susan from Wooster OH

Gina said...

Love the fabrics that Jesse has picked out

Love and hugs Gina xxx

isolada. by design said...

WOW! A fun and productive weekend of sewing and creating. So good you had a little warmer weather, too. Maybe this will be the end of anything quite so cold. Love all the wonderful fat quarters you and Jessie found for her...new quilt. :)

Hope it's a great Monday!

Ana

warren said...

I love the hearts in the candle sticks...that would be a fun Valentine's day thing from the kids...