Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Running the oven

Last night, at 8:30, it was 13 degrees out. I think I NEED to move somewhere warmer....

So tonight is a good night to run the oven. Homemade maccaroni and cheese for dinner with venison sausage and then I might as well make some cookies. Or something. It all depended on what ingredients I have on hand.


Don't these look yummy?!?! They don't taste like regular chocolate chip cookies - they aren't very sweet, which is fine by me.





Of course, the batter was the best:




Amish Chocolate Chip Cookies.

2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs (I used 3 chicken eggs - since ours are still on the smaller side)
1 cup Crisco (the recipe said lard....)
6 tsp baking powder (I used 4 - seemed a little wierd to use that much)
2 tsp. baking soda
5 cups flour
2 tbsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large bag chocolate chips
1 cup milk


Mix all wet ingredients. Add flour, salt, soda and baking powder. Drop on greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes (I only had to bake mine for 7 - we like our cookies a little soft).



word to the wise - if you have a dough hook on your mixer, use it. I'm so glad I have a Kitchen Aid with a dough hook - this dough gets very, very stiff.


Makes 66 large cookies that fit comfortably in the palm of my hand:




Sorry for the blurriness - aparently I cannot eat a cookie and take a picture of a cookie at the same time!

And just because he is so cute, here's what Midnight has been up to:



This cat loves to play with rubber bands - of all things. I'll try and get him on video one of these nights. I spend a lot of time hunting him down and taking his rubber bands away because I'm afraid he's going to swallow them. Jessie's hairbands work for him to play with when I get all the rubber bands - from the rubberband guns that someone gave the kids a few years ago:)

Kris

8 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

Oh my those look so yummie. I love my KA and use my dough hook all the time.

isolada. by design said...

Goodness gracious. Those look delcious...and they're sooooooo big! I like that they fit in your hand and are freeform. Yum!

Run the oven and plug in the iron like I do for extra heat. :D

Sunshine here today and though a bit cooler temps from yesterday and on the decline, feels warm in the sun. I'll wish some your way soon!

Ana :)

Patty said...

I like to run the oven too when it gets cold; it makes the house feel cozy!

audreypawdrey said...

Those look scrumptious! Yum! I love the dough hook on a KA, it will stir anything!

Winifred said...

Oh my goodness that's cold, don't think I've ever been in that sort of temperature. About 27 F is about the lowest I've experienced. Hope it warms up soon for you.

Those recipes look good especially the chocolate chippy ones.

Judy T said...

I may have to try those. I love cookies that aren't overly sweet. We are having really cold temps here as well. They are forecasting near -20 F tonight, BRRRR!
Judy

warren said...

Those do look awesome! It's been cold here and our old house is mighty drafty. We're baking a lot too and the kitchen is soooo popular right now!

Unknown said...

Yummy cookies--my weakness. Our cat loves rubberbands too and will play fetch if she's in the mood! We find them all over the house in the most bizarre places. We know where she's been cause she leaves a trail!