Saturday, January 10, 2009

I screwed up.

Last Spring, I took part in AmandaJean's Quilt A Long. I got most of the blocks done before starting a new job, summer hitting and spring soccer hitting.




Since I couldn't finish any of the projects I wanted to, I pulled this top out to see if I could finish all the stars and setting blocks and get it into quilt top form. The problem is, I used a good bit of my brown fabric to make a shepherd's costume for the church play. I thought I had plenty of brown, but.....I don't. I will have enough to get this last row done, and that will probably be it.

I would go buy more brown, but....I brought this fabric years and years ago. I found some similar brown at JoAnn's in their quilters cotton, but the shade is off just enough that I don't want to use it.



Okay - I'm going to have to look at it in the daylight tomorrow - here the color doesn't look that bad....maybe I'm daydreaming and freaking out over nothing!!!

Why in the HECK did I use it for the Shepherd's costume? I could go to my church and get the costume and cut it up but.....that seems like an awful lot of work. And my church paid me for my time and supplies for making the costumes, so I feel funny taking it back. And I went into this quilt knowing I was making it to fit our king sized bed and that I would be adding borders to it. So I'm thinking I need to finish the stars and do some pieced borders around it to get it big enough.

I have to stop working on it for a little bit - the kids are at my BIL & SIL's spending the night - so Todd and I are going out to eat at Bob Evans. Whooo Hooo (and we have a gift card to use there that he got for Christmas).

Kris

PS - and if you would like to play Pay It Forward - go to my Mom's blog - she joined up from Angie's blog and is doing knitted items for the lucky recipients!

10 comments:

Lib said...

Hey Kris,
I think this has happened to all of us.
Enjoy your night out:o)
Blessins',Lib

SewAmy said...

I would just make it a small wall hanging.

Patty said...

Nice quilt; I too was apart of the quilt along. My finished quilt was given to my nephew for a wedding gift.

Judy T said...

I did a class a few years ago where we purchased our fabric based on set parameters, then worked with the instructor on color/design elements within specified blocks. I had my sashing strips and borders all planned out and then realized I didn't have enough of my cornerstone fabric to do the sashing. It is still in blocks- one of my UFOs in the basement. I just haven't made the time to try to figure out another scheme. Judy

isolada. by design said...

I think you'll be OK to finish with the material you have. Then step back, take a look and if you still want it for your bed, add the borders in fabric that coordinates. You'll work it out and it'll be beautiful!

Hope you enjoyed a fun and fabuloius "date night!"

Ana :)

Philigry said...

hello there, i like your idea of just using what you have, then adding borders to make it bigger. i think it will be great!

jacquie said...

that so sounds like something i would do. i love the baby quilt you made...simple, but stunning! sorry i haven't been by lately...this project sort of swamped me.

Anonymous said...

We sure did get snow this weekend we had 6 inches on our back deck.
Hubby got the snowblower
out the first time for this
year. We were out friday night in all that snow.
We went to Lowes and I went to Pat Catans.
Susan Wooster OH

sugarcreekfarm said...

Hope you had a nice date :) You and your quilting just blow me away!

em's scrapbag said...

I do that sort of thing all the time. It is frustrating. The blocks so far look lovely. Hope you had a wonderful eveing with hubby.